Taking your vehicle abroad

Get away from it all in your Motability vehicle.

Car driving on a road

Your insurance cover allows you to take your vehicle abroad free of charge for up to 90 days in any 12 month period. You no longer need a Green Card for driving in the EU.

We cover travel to within the European Union and to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. We do not cover travel to any other countries.

What you will need

  • Vehicle on Hire Certificate

    You will need to take a Vehicle on Hire Certificate (VE103) with you when travelling abroad in your Motability vehicle. It proves you can take your hire vehicle abroad and will cover you for 12 months.

    You must request this at least three weeks before you intend to travel.

    To request your Vehicle on Hire Certificate (VE103), call the RAC Motability Assist foreign travel line: 0800 731 3310.

  • Green Card

    A Green Card has details about your vehicle such as the registration number. It proves that you have insurance cover in place to be on the roads so you must carry it with you when driving abroad. A Green Card covers you for 90 days within a 12 month period.

    Green Cards will only show permanent drivers. Please contact us if you need to add a temporary driver.

    To request a Green Card or for any related enquiries, please call us on: 0300 037 3737.

Things to note

  • Trailers and caravans

    If you are towing a trailer or caravan you will need a separate Green Card for them.

    Please note that caravans and trailers only have third party cover whilst attached to your vehicle. We strongly suggest you get separate insurance to cover them.

    There are also new rules on number plates and displaying UK stickers. You can find more information here.

    If you have any questions in relation to how Brexit may impact you driving abroad, you can check out our guide to travelling after Brexit or call us on: 0300 037 3737

  • Travelling between Northern and Southern Ireland

    Customers living in Northern Ireland are insured to travel freely between Northern and Southern Ireland at all times. We will issue a Green Card for your full lease within three months of collecting your vehicle.

Suitcases in the boot of a car

Extended insurance cover

If you're travelling for more than 90 days, you must contact us at least three weeks in advance of your journey. We will consider your request and there may be a charge. If your request is permitted, we will send you written consent including a Green Card (if required).

Cover for legal expenses and replacement locks is not available while abroad.

To request extended cover for travelling abroad, call us on: 0300 037 3737 or complete our online form.

Request cover

Warning triangle by a car

European breakdown cover

You may wish to get breakdown cover for foreign travel otherwise you will be responsible for any recovery charges. You will be offered RAC European Breakdown Cover at no extra cost when you request your Vehicle on Hire Certificate.

To discuss your breakdown cover, call the RAC Motability Assist foreign travel line on: 0800 731 3310.

Going abroad for 6 months or longer?

You must let Motability Operations know by calling 0300 456 4566. They may need to make changes to your agreement.