Brexit and travelling abroad from 2021

Your Insurance package has 90 days EU cover as standard, which means you can travel for up to 90 days in any one year. This is not changing, but the documents you will need to carry with you are.

Montage of a union jack flag and Euro flag

Current government advice is that you will need a Green Card to travel outside of the UK from 1 January 2021. We will be issuing a Green Card when you request a Vehicle on Hire Certificate (VE103) from the RAC which will be valid for 12 months.

If you live in Northern Ireland, we'll send you a Green Card for your remaining lease period. This will ensure you can travel freely after Brexit.

What other documents do I need when travelling abroad?

  • If you're towing a caravan or trailer, it will need its own Green Card. We'll issue one free of charge so please contact our customer services on 0300 037 3737 if you need one. Please note, we only provide third party cover for the trailer or caravan whilst attached to your Motability vehicle
  • You'll need a Vehicle on Hire Certificate (VE103) for all travel outside of the UK. You can get this from the RAC Motability Assist Foreign Travel Team, please contact them on 0800 731 3310
  • Certificate of Motor Insurance
  • Full, valid Driving Licence
  • Statement of Facts on Motor Vehicle Accident. This document goes by different names in different countries. You should take one with you for translation purposes as it will be in the language of the country you are currently visiting. To get a copy of the document, visit the Car Travel Docs site (opens in new window)
  • Drivers that hold a UK paper licence will need to have an International Driving Permit whilst driving in Austria, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway or Poland. You can find more information about International Driving Permits on the Government website (opens in new window) and Post Office website (opens in new window).

What else should I know?

Travel rules vary depending on the country you are visiting so it's always important to check. It's also wise to take the following with you as most countries need them:

  • A red triangle
  • A reflective vest
  • A first aid kit
  • Spare bulbs.

All vehicles need to display a GB sticker from 01 January 2021 when travelling in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.

Which countries can I travel to?

We insure Motability vehicles for travel in the following countries only:





Cyprus (South only)

Czech Republic






GB (including Gibraltar)













Portugal (including Madeira)


Slovakian Republic


Spain (including Balearics & Canaries)


Switzerland (including Liechtenstein)

Please note when Green Cards are issued only these countries will be shown.

Your standard Insurance Certificate covers travel to the Isle of Man, Channel Islands and Northern Ireland.

Share this article