Who can drive your vehicle

Sharing the journey with those closest to you.

Man and woman in a car

Whether you're learning to drive, been driving for years, or someone else drives on your behalf, we provide cover to suit your driver needs.

If you're looking to add or change temporary or permanent drivers, or you just need to know who's eligible, we've provided some guidance below.

Named drivers

Named drivers are people you choose to drive your Motability vehicle.

Up to three named drivers are included as part of your lease, these can be yourself, friends, family or carers. The following rules apply:

  • Drivers under 25

    Younger drivers are restricted to vehicles with an ABI Insurance Group 16 or lower and with a power output of 120 brake horsepower (BHP) or less (this does not apply to Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles). If you're not sure what Insurance group or horsepower your car is, contact us and we can check this for you.

  • Drivers under 21

    Only one named driver under 21 is permitted - this could be the disabled customer, or another driver living at the same address.

  • Provisional licence holders

    Only one provisional licence holder is allowed on your Certificate of Motor Insurance at any one time. Any named drivers with provisional licences must be over 21 (this does not apply to the policyholder).

  • Valid driving licence

    We will only accept drivers who have a legally valid driving licence.
    Non-UK licences: Please contact us for a full list of countries we will accept non-UK licences for. All non-UK licences must be changed to a UK licence after 12 months.

  • Motoring convictions

    Drivers with certain motoring convictions, licence endorsements, fixed penalty notices or disqualifications within the last five years will not be allowed to drive your vehicle. Contact us for more information.

Adding or changing a driver

You can add two drivers when you apply for your vehicle, but you must contact us to add a third driver or make any driver changes.

We'll need the full details of any accidents, claims, damage or losses incurred in the last five years by any proposed drivers. Only drivers named under the permitted drivers section of your Certificate of Motor Insurance are covered to drive your vehicle.

If you wish to add or change a driver during your lease, simply contact us and we will make the changes for you. Please note that only the lease-holder, their nominee or appointee can request a change of driver.

We will need to speak to your proposed driver to get their consent for the licence details to be checked against the DVLA driver licence database, so they must be with you when you call.

In addition, in order to consider insuring your new driver, we will need their following details:

  • Full name

  • Date of birth

  • Driving licence number

  • Date they passed their driving test

  • Motoring convictions, licence endorsements, fixed penalty notices and claims in the last five years

  • Restriction codes shown on the driving licence.

Temporary drivers

We understand that you may require a temporary driver from time to time, for example, when you go on holiday or relatives come to visit.

A temporary driver:

  • Can be added onto your policy for up to 30 days at a time

  • Must always abide by the Scheme rules

  • Must use the vehicle to assist you e.g. driving you around

We complete periodic DVLA licence checks on temporary drivers, so we may ask to speak to the temporary driver and take their licence details to complete these checks.

If you rely on this driver multiple times throughout the year, they must be included on your Certificate of Motor Insurance as a permanent driver. In these cases, we may need to check their licence details against the DVLA driver licence database.

Please remember that temporary driver additions cannot be used as a substitute for a permanent driver.

Learning to drive

You can learn to drive in your Motability vehicle as long as:

  • You have a provisional licence

  • You are listed as a permitted driver on the Certificate of Motor Insurance

  • You are accompanied by a driver who is over 21 and holds a full valid licence for at least three years. They do not need to be named on your Certificate of Motor Insurance unless they drive the car themselves

  • You have L plates clearly displayed on the front and back of the vehicle at all times when driving.

In addition, if the customer is learning to drive:

  • A driving instructor can be added to the policy free of charge

  • The driving test can be taken in the Motability vehicle.

Can we help you with anything else?

If you have any queries about your policy or need to get in touch, you can contact us in the following ways:

Give us a call

RSA Motability: 0300 037 3737

Monday to Friday: 8am to 7pm
Saturday: 8am to 4pm
Sunday: Closed

Calls may be recorded and monitored.

Chat with us online

Our LiveChat service is available at the following times:

Monday to Friday: 8am to 5pm
Saturday and Sunday: Closed

You can also find us on Twitter @RSAMotability