Using your vehicle

We'll make sure you're covered, whatever the journey.

Man putting wheelchair into car

You can use your vehicle for social, domestic and pleasure purposes. This means you're covered for normal day-to-day driving.

So if you use your vehicle to go shopping, visit friends or go on holiday, you're protected by your insurance. You can also travel between home and a permanent place of work.

If you need to use your vehicle whilst at work or for charity purposes, we've provided some guidance below.

Business use

If you need to use your vehicle whilst at work we call this business use. This covers:

  • Driving during work hours
  • Driving clients around
  • Visiting several different offices or sites
  • Driving colleagues to meetings
  • Driving a large number of miles in a small amount of time for work purposes

If you need to use your vehicle, other than directly to and from your usual workplace, we can arrange business use cover for most occupations.

We can only provide cover for one named driver on your Certificate of Motor Insurance at any one time.

Business use cover is only provided for your current insurance policy. It does not automatically transfer on to your new vehicle. You should contact us when updating your insurance policy.

If you need business use cover, get in touch:

Give us a call

RSA Motability: 0300 037 3737

Monday to Friday: 8am to 7pm
Saturday: 8am to 4pm
Sunday: Closed

Calls may be recorded and monitored.

Chat with us online

Our LiveChat service is available at the following times:

Monday to Friday: 8am to 5pm
Saturday and Sunday: Closed

You can also find us on Twitter @RSAMotability

Voluntary work

You can use your vehicle for voluntary or charitable work as long as you are not contractually employed by the organisation.

By this we mean you do not receive a fixed regular income from them. Here are a few examples of the kind of voluntary work you are covered for:
  • Meals on Wheels
  • Hospital visiting
  • Fundraising
  • Community projects
  • Foster care

If you're a foster carer, we can provide a letter to confirm you are insured to drive for charity work (voluntary use). Give us a call on: 0300 037 3737 or email us to get a copy.